Saturday, April 24, 2004

 
Hurrah! I can finally get SBN to work when it's just playing filler music, rather than scheduled programs. Ok, so they probably set it up to do this ages ago, but I gave up trying quite a while ago. Or maybe they're only doing because it's the weekend. Anyway, it makes a nice change from Xfm and Virgin's output.

Which reminds me: Ryam Adams's Wonderwall [Amazon clip, nowhere else appears to be carrying it]. Sacrilege or really rather good? I have to admit I quite like it. Yes, it's not the Oasis version, but then it survives such a completely different interpretation of the song. The only worrying thing is the implication that the music of my youth is now ripe for being covered (I'm not that old - am I?).

Checking out the random search hits, I came across this very handy page that finally gets round to explaining tides, including isotidal lines, and amphidromes (but it doesn't call them that). So if you've never got the mechanics of rotating bulges[1] figured out, go and read, and ignore the fact it's aimed at schoolchildren.

[1] Well static bulges, except they do rotate, but the Earth rotates under them, even though they're part of the Earth.

I'm getting to be a very far-flung blog aren't I? In the same week I've had people from Chile, Iceland, Peru, The Gambia and Colombia. And not all of them came here having misheard a lyric.

Yes, I know that comparatively this is nothing - hands up, if you can't place every country listed on Salam Pax's hit-list.

SBN has just proved I can't be that old - Bjork's still around, and sounding as wondrously batty as ever.

Admittedly they're now playing something that sounds like James, and I can't believe they're still going. Bugger, they are. And their fans can't spell Guildford. Oh, it's ok, the page is out of date, as the October it refers to is 1999. Phew.

Anyhoo, it's sunny, so I'd better not spend all day indoors on the computer.

PS. SBN on the internet is functioning, yet SBN via digital radio still claims the station is off air. I have yet to figure why they don't broadcast beyond their very restrictive hours - as they continue to broadcast to universities across the country, and apparently across the internet. So they must have already paid for the digital broadcasting license, and they must be paying fees for airing music anyway, so why not make full use of the license?

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?