Saturday, August 21, 2004

 
Can anyone explain why, under the Archives menu, "Current Posts" will display on in the monthly archive pages? Having discovered that RO'D had added a link to an individual post, I then found out that anyone who followed it got marooned on that page (well they could have clicked the GfB link, and then come back, but that assumes they know where I'm listed, which I think is a bit ambitious).

So, in correcting that, I now have the oddity of having a "Current Posts" link, and a "Recent Posts" link appear on some of the archive pages. Looks dead professional.

That, and the intermittent Blogwise button.

Oh, and my general "really ought to sort out the template" messiness. I'm coming to realise thet HTML is a very limited language. Ok, so I don't know enough of it to state that concretely, but it's just the way there only seem to be two options for how something can be down, and one of those is completely nonsensical. Hence the almost arbitrary application of font sizing and spacing round here.

Whilst tweaking, I finally got round to sticking a permanent Fistful of Euros plug up there. Go and read (after you've finished here of course).

And thinking that I must read more blogs than those I've listed, I was hunting round for ones to add. During my foraging I came across a site I've previously ignored: IDF Pizza. I don't know what it is about this site, but something feels very wrong. Partly it's the latent bias - is there a sister organisation that gives out fast-food to Palestinians? [Is ice-cream halal?]. It's premise seems to be: Israelis are the good guys, and deserve rewards [beyond getting to live in the promised land].

And partly it seems to be trying to make the entire thing into a children's picnic. So there'd be hyperactive IDF soldiers, pepped up on sugar and colourings, running round screaming, and sticking out their blue food-colouring stained tongues. I dread to think what they use for a pinyatta.

All that, and it features some of the most expensive ice cream known to mankind.

[Second thoughts: the whole hoo-ha over that Supersize Me film, which McDonalds helpfully plugged in the national press (do they even have PR people anymore?) has emphasised the damaging effects of eating fast-food continually. Presumably if this website is successful enough, then it'll have a near continual supply of fast-food to send out to a limited amount of troops. More food, but no change in troops, equals more food per troop. Equals more fast-food effects per troop. Ah, now I see the point of the website. It's obviously Arafat's idea to make the troops to fat to fit in tanks].

Another site that I've come across before, yet never yet remember to keep reading. Maybe if I stick it in here I might (or might not given the number of blogs that pop up here but never migrate to the left). Beirut-Beyrouth.

A site I've only just found, and which might be a sidebar contender: Ostracised from Österreich.

Another possibility: The European Weblog Review.

And hurrah, the bagpipes have stopped - there was man standing outside the Borough Hall playing them at full-kilt for hours today. God knows why. And of course, one of the pleasures of this town is way sound travels so easily across it, be it bell-ringing practice on a Tuesday evening, or the sound of the PA at the various fairs. Or the sound of something reversing in Sainsbury's "A-tain-tune. This ve-cal is re-ve-hearsing", trains shooing the magpies off the line, the workmen beating sheet steel on a building site, the people getting kicked out of Wetherspoons, or the impatient friend picking up someone up the road. Or indeed a very lost Scotsman with his traditional paraphernalia. Which for much of the afternoon I wished would meet with some paraffin-alia.

One to other stuff, and this post is interesting simply for it's "did you know" appeal.

Anyhoo,

Sorry about the intermittant Blogwise button. I made a slight mistake with the code that generates it last week meaning that the little banner graphic wouldn't display on many third party sites. It should now be fixed.

Sven
www.blogwise.com
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?