Tuesday, September 28, 2004

 
Ah, there's nothing quite like testing something just before you take it back to the shop as faulty, only to have the thing work continuously for longer than it has ever done before.

And I had my indignant rant all prepared. It's not fair. So, in a follow-up to the recent moanings (someone could have told me I was repeating myself), the wireless ADSL contraption thing is apparently working. Just when I had finally confirmed that the fault is with the router, and not my computer. How can I tell? Because resetting the router or changing the settings on the router means my computer picks up the lost signal, whereas the signal never comes back if left alone.

And there's only one problem with using the BBC's streaming radio to test the connection. I have to listen to it. Radio 1 play some distinctly not very good music. I'm also wondering if the constant traffic of the radio is what is keeping the connection up. But it can't be, as some of the previous cut-offs occurred in mid-download.

Now all I need to do is figure out what is wrong with Mozilla that it can't cope with the BBC's radio player. It claims it needs more plug-ins and then can't find any it wants to use. I've obeyed the BBC's help section including copy various files with names and formats I don't understand, and yet it still doesn't work. Oh well. So back to my aeons old version of IE then (which means I was shocked when I had pop-ups coming up).

Anyway, having been trying to find non-descript things to read (is everything in your cache what you want PCWorld staff reading? Some not-work-safe and some not safe to leave work), here are a couple more media things. From the Indy this time.
Quirky Gaelic things. Some good stuff buried quite far in. I especially like cupa tì, which means, um, cup of tea.

When I say couple, I of course cannot seem to remember, nor find a clue as to what exactly the other article was. So here's something on McDonald's instead [I've been there a grand total of 3 times in my life so far. I've been to Burger King more, although not much more, as every time I go there everyone I'm with gets food poisoning. I've been in a KFC once, and ran out because the smell made me retch. Fast food junkie. I can't even manage a whole Mars bar (although being frozen and knackered from sailing gets me nearer completion). Spot who was raised on wholemeal pasta (it's harder to overcook, and tastes nicer). Pathetic aren't I? Either that or tweely middle-class].

And now it's up to an hour and a quarter of solid communication. There's only one way I know of to guarantee the connection will fail - clicking Blogger's "Publish Post" button.

Anyhoo,

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?