Monday, September 06, 2004

 
Pawn StarPawnstarOooh, that's handy - Copyscape a thing to see if people have been nicking one's content, courtesy of Google. Of course I haven't yet used it exhaustively on all the archives, but still, given the frequency with which computer-generated search-engine maulers pop up, it'd be nice to know.

Having said that, nicking someone else's text can do wonders for the hits. Except the recent example has now put me as the top ranking pawn baron for various searches. No, I'm not going to illustrate them here. I think it's also got me registered as "not work safe", as all the recent Googles have been "safe=off".

The Copyscape link was cribbed from somewhere in the PetitHiboux/Autoblography complex of Aqualungness, which recurred in my awareness via a little Moroccan.

Having partially Copyscaped myself, I've decided to stick one of those Creative Commons Licenses on here - I've been meaning to for ages, but always thought it was a bit egotistical. But as I'm intending to start adding scanned photographs in the near future (er, that's "intending" as in I have been for some while), and as they might be slightly less pointless than the text here, it seemed worthwhile.

Basically the license is pretty much along the lines of: if you use stuff from here, give me a nod (or a link), and please don't use any of it to make money (or in an attempt to do so). Although on that last point I am open to negotiation [what a surprise]. Actually I would be surprised if you could make money for this thing, but that's not the point.

And does any know of a decent photohost service? That doesn't involve me paying them? I've just created an account with Flickr because it seems quite cunning, and it says "beta" beside the name, and that's always good.

But not in this case - apparently there's 3 month retention rule, whereby anything older than 3 months disappears; and there is a 10MB monthly limit. I've no idea how MBs connect to picture size, but I think in experimenting with the scanner I was going beyond this. Hmm, now I'm confused, elsewhere it claims they don't delete photos, merely drop them from non-direct-URL access.

I guess the only thing is to try it (and then swear at it). And then remember that, hang on, didn't I sign up for something similar about a month ago. Oh yes. To do the A-Z thing [under the DoE]. Can anyone remember my Village Photos log-in?

And while researching images, I was very tempted to use this, from here.

Anyhoo,

PS. Go and check out Cas-Av's tube map extravaganza. The mirrored one is simply freakish (Does it really got out as far out as Farnborough, only northwards?).

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Comments removed at request of poster. Except Blogger seems to be clinging to the name, dates and times - not sure why, though it might clear when I next post.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?