Tuesday, September 28, 2004

 
When I commented about leaving renewing my car insurance on the 31st, someone could have reminded me the letter actually says noon on the 27th. Hence a slightly panicked yesterday, whilst I try to figure out why Direct Line think charging me £150 more than Norwich Union is a good idea. They even quoted me £40 less when I got a quote as a new customer on the Direct Line website.

I only found out about the cheaper prices via Confused.com, which actually is surprising good for an odd little Google-ading dot-com.

In other news - a couple of things from the Guardian:
Firstly, tales of by-election jinx[1] in Hartlepool in two parts {and in typical Grauniad style the link from the end of the first half is a 404, so click here instead). I shouldn't laugh should I?

[1] If you can have high-jinx then surely there must be a jinx Just like people can be whelmed.

Secondly, a woman who claims the sandwich toaster is a mere gadget [scroll down]. Have you no shame? Admittedly I haven't used mine recently, but that's because I tried cleaning it, and gave up. Also the only cheese I have went from being cheddar to stilton, and then on being parmesan.

From the same page: leucippotomy. I quite agree that it's a great word. Now if only I could find a spare chalk down. [It means to carve figures in hillsides by exposing the underlying rock, which is probably chalk, judging by the leuc- bit. The G claims it's just carving of horses, but where is the equine-derived part of the word?].

Anyhoo,

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?