Wednesday, December 22, 2004

 
.London - TateM Window frame
Being quick:

Flickr - not as bad as I had feared (ok, it was, but I found some ways round it). I think I've got the URLs for all my photographs now. I started off entering each individually, but quite a few had been caught by that infuriating invasion of privacy: autocomplete. Luckily they are in vague batches and sequential. Ok, so half the functions are gone, but even solely as a storage device Flickr is quite good (if only for the resized versions). Now all I need to do is catalogue them all, and create an index.

Question for the day: Who the hell calls a stone spangle? I'll explain when i have more time.

Christmas card wars: are they the greatest things ever? Fraught with etiquette problems, and proto-spouse issues. A snide comment here, a bound to offend picture there, a faux-naive question just happening to exist on this bit. Once again mañara, mañara. Actually I know what is the best - the round robin letters people send out. "Eric has just started working for the church youth group. It is nice for him to get out and be with the young people... Susan was recently nominated to be a prospective Conservative town councillor, on top of her work with the parish council. She looks forward to working with our luminaries... It is with sadness that I must inform you that Rita has died. I'm sure many of you knew her well, and can only hope that the joy she gave freely to all is some solace to each of us now. It was therefore with mixed feelings that we have acquired a new cat - a kitten really. After some confusion early on we are fairly sure it is a female, however since she had already started responding to the name Tobias, we will call her that... In February I hope to have a short spell in hospital, whilst I undergo a series of operations which will hopefully prevent any more of these bothersome urinary infections. Unfortunately, due to the drugs I will be given, I am unable...." [Names have been changed to protect the all persons mentioned]. I have only slightly edited these fragments. Rather oddly, the family who used the phrase "the young people" last year have now started putting it in quotation marks. Does this mean someone wrote back quoting them, and they didn't realise who was being quoted?

And then one overhears someone talking about how they've found the ideal card for X. X sends out cards and letters with anti-EU stickers on them, and is blue enough to have been made from cobalt. Y, the person speaking, is delighting in the fact she has sent them a card with the words to "Oh Christmas Tree". Why? Because the tune of Tannenbaum or OCT is the same as that for the Red Flag. See the bitter slight, the pure malice inveigled in a piece of card.

Is it me, or does that seem a particularly daft way of insulting people?

Somewhere around was a greenfairy thing one Christmas cards...et la (the stars are bang on. My carpet still holds stars from a 3 year old birthday invitation [the invitation was, not the person]. And they wonder why they're lucky to get MC+HNY?). Running ever blogwards, Neil is back at GfB, or more accurately GfB is back. Not sure I'd mentioned it 404ing, but it had, but now it's not.

And having been in someone else's house, and stuck discussing their cards [there was one made by a photographer which we were trying to decide if it was real or faked. I say Photoshop], what should one do if one receives a card which completely lacks a post-mark, or any sign of franking at all, has an unfinished, slightly nonsensical sentence on the inside, and no signature. The handwriting is generic old lady. Somewhere out there is an elderly woman has either completely lost it, or has only just lost it enough that they'll now be getting frantic about this missing card. The recipient hasn't a clue who it is.

That wasn't quick, was it? Ay well.

Anyhoo,

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?