Thursday, December 23, 2004

 
Spangle stonePicking up from yesterday: The mañara's got explained pretty much anyway, and spangle bit I only discovered because I've been asked to source some rock (don't ask, and I really should have pointed out that no-one quarries much in winter as the stone fractures too easily. If only I'd known that at the time, rather than having Mrs Quarry-Owner inform me). Spangle is apparently stone in which large calcite arcs are visible. It looks like TS limpet shells made of quartz embedded in typical greyish-brown stone (do I mean transverse? Which way is up on a limpet? Anyway, pretty much a cross section). Unsurprisingly given the name, it's a bit over the top.

Picking up a meme from a BE'd blog [Strang] I hereby present ten randomly selected songs from the entire collection on my computer [although Winamp's shuffle has never been completely random]. I suppose 2,033 mp3s is quite a lot to pick from isn't it? So why, of all the mp3s in all the folders, why did you have to pick Verdi?

1. Verdi - Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves. 4:22
2. Mansun - Legacy. 4:39
3. The Avalanches - Since I left you. 3:57
4. [Austin Powers Soundtrack] James Taylor Quartet - Austin's Theme. 3:38
5. Less than Jake - Faction. 3:30
6. Foo Fighters - Oh, George. 3:00
7. U2 - Grace. 5:45
8. The Cranberries - Empty. 3:25
9. No Doubt - Just a Girl. 3:28
10. Levellers - One Way. 4:07

What does this tell you about me? That I started running out of disk space sometime in 2001, and really haven't added anything since then. In fact I have only subtracted anything which I had on CD since then. And that I only added whatever was available on the uni-network, and in some cases copied whole folders unedited. I think I may need to rationalise.

This selection really does me no favours, does it? Am I allowed to admit to not being able to stand number 5? A freind reccomended them, and they have never grown on me.

Hands up if you can spot the album tracks.

And yet, despite the thoroughly dismal selection, I'm sure there must be worse tracks buried somewhere on this computer (Do I really need the Bananaman theme tune?).

The top 3: 9, 8, 3. And don't ask me for a top 4.

Now for the complete antidote. Well, not really, but it's Christmas, and it was one of the following songs: Last Christmas by Wham. Cheese has its purpose.

Anyhoo,

PS. Someone could have told me. Mañara, mañana, same thing really. Except one is tomorrow in Spanish, and one sounds like a National Park in Tanzania, which roughly explains why I thought it sounded right. And as a reward for reading this far you can have a picture of an elephant, which actually was taken in Lake Manyara National Park. Well done you.

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?