Thursday, August 17, 2006

 
IMG_1470Hmm, the Blogger/Google thing appears to have fixed itself, although now I'm permanently logged in to Blogger.

Anyway, in an event to bump the rant down the page, I ought to find other things to discuss. Firstly comes something I've only just found, and which is so, so true* (found by a wander from Sin to My Sol to Bitch Ph.D).

* I meant the last line, and perhaps not all the time, but, well, some people have, er, lacked finesse. And I just realised I was about to add more information, before remembering I don't have that type of blog.

But moving on... there's a few more pics on Flickr, but not many, and none truly great (although they are more edited than the last batch).

I've finally watched the last episode of Brideshead Revisited. Very, very good, and I think I see why little CU recommended it, although I'll studiously ignore her inference. I'm not sure I've ever been aware of someone acting with their hands before. Jeremy Irons somehow manages to make the young Charles look gawky and gangly by his hands alone. They betray his age yet act well.

But there are so many details in it; for example, the shoes in the final episode. Flat, bootish and brown for the frump of a failed nun, painfully high purple suede monstrosities for the foreign mistress, and simple, neat and elegant tweed-matching heels for the leading lady.

Sorry, saying it has good shoes doesn't really do it all justice. But it's not bad for an unseen impulse buy.

And I really have very little more to add, as the other points of interest in my life have been my mother ringing me many more times today (her voice is strangely soporific; it doesn't lull one to sleep, merely make one yearn to stop being) and going and getting a haircut, which was rather more soporific, to an embarrassing extent.

Anyhoo,

PS. According to IMDB there's a film version of Brideshead looming. I dread to think. Apparently it's to star Jude Law in version devoid of Catholicism (er, was that not the central theme then?).
PPS. The Granada version makes more sense when one discovers that the actors for Sebastian and Charles swapped roles, hence the odd casting.

I had loved Waugh's novel a long time before watching the television adaptation of Brideshead Revisited. I quickly became a fan of the adaptation as well. (There are so many fantastic things about it all, but I particularly love John Gielgud's performance as Edward Ryder and Laurence Olivier's as Lord Marchmain.)

When I heard about the possibility of an American film adaptation, I felt uneasy. But when I found out that the new version would not center on Catholicism, I felt ill. So much for not tossing out the central focus of the work.

*sigh*

American television tried to adapt Red Dwarf and Fawlty Towers some years back. As Garfield would say, certain people should have been dragged out into the street and shot for it (because it was that terrible). I don't want to imagine what will be done with Brideshead Revisited.
 
By the way, I say "American" film adaptation because of the Hollywood aspect. Er...yes...you know what I mean, I'm sure.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?