Monday, May 14, 2007

 
XiphisternumWhere are your heroes with athletes' bodies?
Where are your idols, unshaven, well dressed?

In their eyes dollars,
In their smiles diamonds,
I also, one day, will become beautiful, like a god.

Apollo 2000*, faultless, twenty one,
That's the ideal man, masculine charm.


* I'm obviously missing some reference here.

Isn't it surprising where impromptu translation can take you? I'd just decided I couldn't be bothered to fais les améliorations, when Winamp artfully selected something which smuggles French into the head. Admittedly I could only get up to "where are your" without having to resort to the written lyrics, and even knowing the sounds it's hard to find the corresponding sounds.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, the song is Ceci Boy. Yep, I'm not yet good enough to find a convincing homophone in French for 'boy' in English.

And what is it about that song that I can't ever survive the opening bars without breaking into a sourire (yep, that's an underlaugh)?

Et sur ce l'idée, je pense qui sera tout pour aujourd'hui.

Anyhoo,

Dammit. I don't speak French, but I think I'm going to have to download this song. And "Apollo 2000", perhaps an obscure way of referring to a godlike (i.e. fuck-worthy) young man of this century?
 
Somehow I missed this comment (possibly by being in a different country). Surely you already have a copy? It was on one of the CDs you offered to lend me.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?