Wednesday, September 22, 2004

 
Golly. Someone using references on this blog. Real actual ones, with dates and everything. Just a shame it wasn't it me.

Thanks for correction Neil - I was a bit dubious about whether the classical model of an amino acid mirrored the definition [but Wikipedia said so, so it must be true]. So amino + acid = amino acid or only ones on the amino-carbon+other stuff-carboxyl[ic acid] pattern? I think this could end up getting into degrees of amino acidness. I usually get distracted by the sound of the word zwitterion.

Is this the point to admit that I was never passionate about biochemistry? I only perked up in the lectures when I suddenly heard the lecturers mentioning how she narrowly avoided becoming a sexual conquest of either Watson or Crick [as in, I can't remember which was the womaniser, not my lecturer escaped the pair]. I still haven't figured out if she was name-dropping, or trying to work out how many of the massed first years were actually asleep. Despite her attention grabbing, I'm still not utterly sure about why it matters that the bases on nucleic acids are either purines or pyrimides.

On to other stuff. The West Wing. Um well, it's basically a programme about a load of people in the White House, who all have this terribly unfashionable habit of caring about things. Apparently the show used to have very close links to the Clinton administration, and has carried on along the same lines.

One American friend described it as "relentlessly gung-ho and optimistic". I think she was criticising it [the sarcastic comments about the "stirring patriotic music" gave it away].

The convoluted script that sends the unaware reeling has caused it to be described as [again the Alabamarite speaking] "Dawson's Creek for grown-ups". Without all the boring love stuff.

It's just not-quite-mindless diversion. When the Walker-with-an-N crew seem too worrying depressing, why not watch people who believe in being fair and just [and being left-wing for America, which reads as just-about-sensible for everywhere else].

I like it, but then that really is no indication of quality.

The Flickr thing. The lovely caterina has sent me an email telling me I qualify for a free upgrade. Huzzah. (But only for 3 months).

[They obviously don't check their registration records too rigorously. Or maybe they don't discriminate against schizophrenics].

So thank you to those who did email, boo-hiss to the rest of you [I know, I know, you all already had Flickr], and ignore yesterday's posting.

Anyway, I'd better be going, so I can get on with uploading pictures from across the ages.

Oh, and I got a bit confused until I remember it was last year I blogged about it [1,2]- Mesh is back. Mesh is an animation competition, shown on Channel 4 right after the news [so that's at about 7:55pm]. I've only seen one of the current crop, which was last night's entry. I still prefer "Disposable Freinds".

Anyhoo,

PS. Hmm, that's not fair. Blogger doesn't do automatic emails to me when someone comments without using a Blogger sign-in. Hence missing Stuart from autoblography's addition. How on earth did he find the time to do that, in between deciding which of his possessions are New Yorkable?

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?